Thursday, May 12, 2016

Requiem

It's been a while. I don't know where he is. I'm not sure if he still stays in his pad in Cubao. I don't know if he got the promotion he had wanted for so long. And I'm not even sure how life has been for him. I can't find him in Facebook.

He was one tall, cute guy I never thought I'd have. He smirks at the sight of any Youtube videos of my inspiration, Regine Velasquez-Alcasid. "Hiyaw lang naman ng hiyaw," he would often say. For him, true music is the auto-tune oh yeah, yeah, yeah of Britney Spears. (Performance maybe, but music? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.) I've mentioned to him my plans of going back to school, but his reply "Ako nga hindi college graduate, pero malapit nang ma-promote". Although we both enjoy smoking, he despises any menthol-flavored yosi. We both love eating, but he prefers the same old fare he would always have. And yeah, we both can stay all night with just a cup of coffee; his should be strong and sweet, mine is creamy with a hint of spice.

But despite the differences, we took the chance and became a couple. We both learned how to meet half way, and at some point, tolerate some of our weirdness ( e.g. I don't like the lights on when we sleep. He likes to smoke inside his air conditioned pad. Ewwwk.)

Everything was running smoothly until I noticed the sudden weight loss and the dark circles under his eyes. (He's part American and is very obvious in his skin)

"Miss ko na yung mag-crashing..."

Thought I misheard what he said, but he was firm on going out with his friends. "Pampakalma at pampawala ng stress," he points out.

I knew at that moment it's time to put the period on our statement. We both love each other, but he really needs help. Professional help.

He made me realize a lot of things about life...career...and love. And chanelling my inspiration, I know I'll never love this way again. In a few days, I'll have my first day in Graduate School again. As I look back at what we had, I sincerely wish he'd realize my decision to study again it's not for any career advancement or for the money. It's about a life-long dream I had always wanted to fulfill.





No comments: